Friday, May 20, 2011

courtesy of my good friend G

Her's is called "Why do I teach" mine would have to be changed to "Why am I going to teach (homeschool) my kids?.....

Proverbs 22:6
Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it.


Psalm 78:4-8
We will not hide these truths from our children;
we will tell the next generation about the glorious deeds of the Lord, about his power and his mighty wonders.


For he issued his laws to Jacob;
he gave his instructions to Israel
He commanded our ancestors to teach them to their children,
so the next generation might know them- even the children not yet born-and they in turn will teach their own children.


So each generation should set its hope anew on God,
not forgetting his glorious miracles and obeying his commands.


Then they will not be like their ancestors-stubborn, rebellious, and unfaithful, refusing to give their hearts to God.


Deuteronomy 6:5-7 and again the same in 11:19
And you must love the Lord your God with all you heart,
all your soul,
and all your strength


And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today


Repeat them again and again to your children


Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road,
when you are going to bed and when you are getting up.


Is He really talking about me, the parent doing these things?  Many of us certainly hope not


How much easier to send them to school for 7 to 8 hours each day, then perhaps on to after school "care". 


Then come Sunday we put them into groups with same age peers to be taught by other adults.  Then we're back to Monday again and it's off to school.


But I do teach my kids....when is that?  You find the time to dedicate yourself to their training when exactly?  At home, on the road, going to bed and getting up?


I have some of my children at home and some at school.  I see the difference.  I know they need to be at home.  I can't keep them safe at school from all that public school is, and honestly .... it is mostly bad. 


The thought of 5 at home overwhelms me, and then I remember that when I am overwhelmed He steps in, my Superhero, and He makes it all happen. 


Next year I will have three at home; this summer I will prayerfully ask Him to guide me, do they all need to be home now?  Or if I wait and bring another home the following year will that be okay, Lord?


Why does God command me to teach my children?  The written thoughts of author Israel Wayne resonate deep with me:


To refine me in the trial of the homeschool.  Me, refine me.  The hard place of homeschool is a fire for me and separates out the dross in me as I teach them about Him. 


I never thought about what teaching does for me.  But in reflecting I can see my own growth, I can see the trail of ick left behind in this trial of teaching. 


As a family to seek first Matthew 6:33
Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you everything you need
All, everything you need, even academics.  Seeking Him first, all that we need will be found.


What we know is insignificant compared to what we believe


Nothing is more important than our relationship with God and each other, not chemistry, not algebra, not even early reading. 


God has good plans for our kids, they will have success as a natural result of obedience to God.


Give them tools.  Teach them how to learn, how to research, how to dig....Trust them.


Is what you are doing right now drawing you and your children closer to God or just frustrating you?
Thank you so much Gretchen for putting this in perspective again for me! I have been sure I wanted to homeschool for a while now, but it is so awesome to have a great reminder!

No comments:

Post a Comment